BENSON'S OLD BUILDINGS

(INCLUDING HOUSE HISTORIES)
History of Benson
Benson's Listed Buildings
 
Left: One of Benson's oldest buildings, 1 Brook Street
Click the button to go to the Listed buildings website
Below: A few of Benson's many historic buildings.
Buildings in Benson's High Street
 
Please click here to read an illustrated article about the buildings in Benson High Street, from Castle Square to the old Post Office. It includes a wealth of detail about the owners of these properties and how the premises were used through the centuries.
Below: Photographs showing the variety of architectural styles to be found in 21st century Benson 
House near Castle Square
House near Castle Square

This was once a farmhouse

The Three Horseshoes
The Three Horseshoes

A popular Benson inn in Oxford Road

Cottage on High Street
Cottage on High Street

Benson High Street

Cottage on Brook Street
Cottage on Brook Street

Brook Street has a delightful variety of old buildings

Brook Street cottages
Brook Street cottages

Taken from near the Ewelme Brook

The Crown Inn
The Crown Inn

A view of the Crown from Brook Street

High Street cottages
High Street cottages

Traditional housing in the High Street

Benson Cottage
Benson Cottage

Cottage in Old London Road

The Plough.
The Plough.

These cottages in Brook Street were once a pub called The Plough

FOR MORE DETAILED INFORMATION ABOUT BENSON'S HISTORIC BUILDINGS, PLEASE SEE THE BENSON SECTION OF THE VICTORIA COUNTY HISTORY

 
Please click here to read the Benson Conservation Area Proposal,
produced by the Bensington Society in 1977.
 
Please click here to read the Benson Conservation Area study,
produced by South Oxfordshire District Council in 1999.
Fifield Farm and Manor
The original old manor house, built in 1120, is said to be the oldest building in Oxfordshire. Additions were made in the 14th, 18th and 19th centuries. In the 20th century there were many ups and downs, including its use by the PRU in WW2.
 
Click here to read a short history of Fifield Manor

Fifield Manor in days gone by

The Old Vicarage
The house, constructed in 1860 remained as the Vicarage until 1970, and is built on the site of earlier church houses going back as far as 1540.  A comprehensive report on these buildings, and St Helen's Church together with former vicars is contained in a "Story of The Old Vicarage Benson" by Charles Barrie, a copy of which is available in the Village Archive.
 
Click here to read a short article about Benson Vicarage

The Old Vicarage

HOUSE HISTORIES
    Please click on a house name to read a short history
                                                          
 
Myrtle Cottage, Laurel Cottage
and 12 Castle Square  (below)
                                                                                        No 1 Brook Street   (below)
 
 
 
 
 
 
            
 
 
                                                                              
 
Elm House, Castle Square  (below)                           Kingsford House, High Street (below)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The Limes, Oxford Road   (below 1930s)                  Churchfield House   (below 1960s)
 Owned by the Rowden family
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

                       

 
Benson history
Benson history
Benson History
Benson history
Benson history
Benson history

Mentions the Powell family. The house was once called Chiltern Lodge.

Colne House, later Observatory House, Brook Street  Owned by the Dines family
Baker's Cottage, 35 Brook Street  
(Mentions the Shrubb family)
Benson history
Benson history

(The following names are mentioned in both histories : Holgate, Butcher, Archer, Pugh, Coates, Skinner, Rislingbury, Cato, King, Hutchings, Littleboy, Goodey, Field, Polley, Spyer, Orchard, Wise, Hine, Chislett, Pudwell, West, Winfield.)

Benson history
"Perry Oaks",
11 Watlington Road
(Near the old British School)
Mentions the following names :
Mead, Witney, Cato, Frewin,
Wells, West, Hatt, Green,
Aldridge, Garland, Scott, Smith.
Benson history
Blenheim House, Oxford Road
The house was formerly known as Littleworth End. The following names are mentioned:  Jenkins, Paxman, Crump, Stubbs,  Cartwright, Reid, O'Callaghan and Whittaker.
Jack House, St Helen's Avenue
The house was built by George Talbot in 1910. During World War II, it housed officers from RAF Benson.
Jack House.jpg
If you would like to contribute a house history, please contact us,
using the email address at the foot of the page.