MEN AND WOMEN OF BENSON
Throughout the survey of its long history, Bensington or Benson was essentially a rural community. Together with its hamlets of Roke and Rokemarsh, Preston Crowmarsh and Crowmarsh Battle, it was a loose grouping of farms, large and small, linked by the thread of the High Street and Ewelme Brook. The inner nucleus was a cluster of inns and trading establishments which provided enough services to make the place largely self-sufficient, taking into account that Wallingford and its market, three miles away, was within the walking capacities of our more active ancestors.
For the less mobile there were the faithful carriers (SEE PHOTOGRAPHS BELOW) with their daily journey to Wallingford and the periodical extension of service to Oxford. There was no great house or manor but scattered on the perimeter of the village were a number of private residents, many living in houses with extensive gardens, some of whom kept their own horse and carriage which enabled them to maintain social contacts with Oxford and Henley.
EXTRACT FROM THE DITMAS HISTORY OF BENSON BY EDITH DITMAS
MEN AND WOMEN OF BENSON I750-1800
These are some summaries of articles from the pages of Jackson’s Oxford Journal for the second half of the eighteenth-century. They are mere snapshots of the times but help to illustrate the life of Benson inhabitants......... Please click here to read more details.
A list of residents printed by Dutton, Allen and Co in 1863 is only partial in that it ignores the agricultural and unskilled labourers, but it helps to indicate the social structure of the village in the mid-nineteenth century................ Please click here to read more details.
Alice Lane with her elder sister outside
Lane House in 1925, It used to house the
Two old photographs of William and Sarah Aldridge. Left hand photo is taken outside Wisteria Cottage. Right hand photo is taken in Brook Street.